Friday, August 21, 2009

Teej!

Update:

We also went to Pashupatinath temple on Sunday, where we saw hundreds of women lined up to pray for the Teej festival. It was a sea of red and gold, and music and dancing. So gorgeous!

A small section of the line of ladies,
praying for their husbands

This weekend was a woman's festival called Teej. I was simply told to wear red to work on Friday, so I wore a red nepali-style corta. Turns out that this festival is not so much about celebrating women, as it is for women to honour and pray for their husband's long life! It involves fasting and everything. Some of the people at work joked that years would be added on to my future husband's life because I participated.

Friday was the day before fasting though, so it involved lots of food, singing and dancing. This was the boardroom at my office:




They pulled me up to dance, at which point I kind of swayed and clapped awkwardly and then sat down again. It was still lots of fun though.


1 comment:

Aunt Judy said...

Now you HAVE to get married someday, otherwise all that good karma (or whatever) will go to waste. Should have had someone take video of you dancing. I would have paid to see that! Missing you still - Love, Aunt Judy