Monday, August 10, 2009

Amusements, and not-so-amusements

Hello my loved ones! Miss me yet? Y'all better. Anyways, I've been here in KTM for a couple of weeks now, and you may be wondering how I'm doing. The answer is: pretty good. Perhaps not as crazy awesome as I was the last time I was here, but that is to be expected, as this time it is all about work.

How is that work going, you ask? Also pretty good. Turns out I'm working pretty much directly under the country director, eek! This means I'm on my own, since he's so busy all the time. I'm trying to be proactive and seek out work with different departments, but it's slow going for now. Hopefully I'll settle into my role better soon.

In other news, the other volunteers here at the house are quite nice. A few of us went out this past weekend to a Nepali amusement park! Really it was more like a carnival, with a ferris wheel and one of those viking ship things. Also the ghetto-est games ever! We played one where you rolled ping pong balls into holes for points. I won (I shit you not) some mothballs as my prize. Adriana did a bit better. She won 2 clothes pins. There was also a "haunted house". This consisted mainly of following a small child through darkend tents while he waved his flashlight around and went "woooo-oooh-aaah!".

Boot Ghar! (Nepali for haunted house)

2 comments:

Catherine, Bert and Nicole said...

Hi Emily, Just thinking about you and tried your blog. Shows like your job is important and a little scary. Sure you will be awesome at it once you get settled. Take care, Catherine, Bert and Nicole

Aunt Judy said...

Looks like you're settling in nicely. I see from Nicole's facebook that you heard about the nose-piercing. I haven't seen it yet but hope to soon. Keep up the posts, we like to see how you are doing. Love, Aunt Judy